Following the anniversary of our fifth year in business, we continue to see our staff and operative numbers rise as we meet the demands of growth.
Fittingly, and in recognition of their contribution to the success of the business, we have made two new board appointments. John Bremner and Ian Smith have each been with us for over two years and have both played a significant role in the development of the business and the management and delivery of our service. Chris Cogan joined us last year and has now been promoted to Contracts Manager. All three are extremely hard working and dedicated to the Company and thoroughly deserve their promotions.We have also welcomed two new apprentices, bringing our total number of apprentices to five, which we feel is an impressive number given the size of our Company. We are committed to apprenticeships as an important way of encouraging young, talented people into the Company and the construction industry.
We have successfully completed a number of projects over the last three months including:
- Internal Office Fit-Out for British Red Cross at 1 Smithhills Street, Paisley
- Storm Damage Reinstatement Works for Ramsay McMichael at McVean House, Longcroft
- Various upgrading and improvement projects for Edrington Distillers
- Internal and external Refurbishment works at Ardrossan Ferry Terminal for Caledonian Maritime Assets Ltd
- Shell Refurbishment of 15,000 sqft retail unit at Craigleith Retail Park, Edinburgh for TH Real Estate
- External refurbishment works at the School of Medicine at the University of St Andrews
We have also received several new exciting appointments:
- Extensive refurbishment of student accommodation at Morrison Circus for Student Cribs
- Office refurbishment at Glasgow City Park for ADT Workplace
- Corridor adaptations at Playsport, East Kilbride for GVA
- Landlord shell preparation Devon Place for EPCA
- Various maintenance and improvement works for British Red Cross
- Office refurbishment at Atlantic Quay for GVA
Reflecting on the five-year anniversary and the new appointments, Chris McNeill - Managing Director, commented - "Thinking back over the last five years I sometimes wonder how we got to where we are today. In 2012 the marketplace was still very flat and many questioned the viability of a new start contractor in our sector. That said, we resolved to forge ahead, convinced that there was appetite, particularly in the maintenance and refurbishment streams, to get back to relationship business. Locating the business within the established office and workshop facility of Cosmos Decorators, together with the founding shareholders' front-end investment in vehicles, equipment, operatives and training, quickly allowed us to build a profile as a serious player. Together with support from close contacts in the building consultancy sector, we were successful in securing some significant projects in the whisky and oil & gas sectors. From all of this business, with regular positive testimonials, we gradually gathered momentum and confidence. Today, the business feels very well established. We have several members of staff who have been with us from the start. We have an established apprenticeship and training programme. We enjoy repeat business from a range of satisfied customers and we have planned our journey ahead. I've been very fortunate in my career to have worked with some great companies and people. My old boss and mentor at Morris and Spottiswood once said to me, 'you have to surround yourself with the best people and the tough decisions are the ones you have to make'. Never a truer word said. There's no doubt that the pace of change, particularly in the last couple of years, has required some tough decisions, however, having a great team around you and knowing that our clients are being looked after no matter what, certainly eases the stress. Mark and I are delighted to welcome John and Ian to the board. Their appointments are well deserved and are an important step in the future of the business. Chris Cogan's promotion to contracts manager is just reward for his energy, enthusiasm, professionalism and overall contribution to successful project delivery. The business is in a really good place and we are all proud of what we've achieved. I look forward to a bright future with this great team."